• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Duck Build.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Well for my first door post, I am happy with it. It was a pain at first, trying to go by the measurements etc, they will let you know it is roughly in the right place but you still have to rely on fitment. I got it within a 1/16th on 3 measurements, the others were dead on and figuring for a slight settle or lack of now that the front clip is solid I am sure, even with welded bracing, some things have changed slightly and the door didn't fit at all... So I looked things over as a point to start and worked it out from there. I am happy enough with the gaps that I think I can perfect it with a little fine tuning (as good as it will get as these things didn't have an even gap anywhere from the factory) in the hinge adjustment as well as the missing lower fender bracket etc. Let me know some opinions... did I miss something, does it look good, great or like shit. In the end of it, my measurements are within a 1/4" of what I started with but I think the door looks pretty good in my opinion. I need the feedback before I start the driver door in case there are some good pointers I need to pay attention too. I also stitch welded the inner fender side as I didn't see the need to drill plug welds there, its out of sight when the fender is on and when it is raptor lined, I dont think you will ever see it, specially after I get done grinding and doing my clean up pass.
u4a7y4e7.jpg

ase6y8u6.jpg

yqypu6a8.jpg

ezupuhyj.jpg

epuny4uz.jpg

6y2uqaje.jpg

5urahe3a.jpg

e6ujyseb.jpg

nuze9a3u.jpg

amanazen.jpg

e6egujen.jpg

6y9ugeha.jpg

eqypenyv.jpg

3uvavuga.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I just realized that yesterday was 6 weeks that I finally pulled my bronco out of storage and got started on it... time flys!

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
I just realized that yesterday was 6 weeks that I finally pulled my bronco out of storage and got started on it... time flys!

It sure does, but at the rate of progress your making, you should be finished in another six weeks. The Duck is looking better great job.

Bferrari

All of your metal work looks amazing. I can't believe your motoring through it so quick!

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
It sure does, but at the rate of progress your making, you should be finished in another six weeks. The Duck is looking better great job.

Im hoping to have the body work done in the next 6 weeks and maybe some color... as far as the whole project, it will be at least a year or more as I will be slowed by available funds and having to save for the next part...

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
All of your metal work looks amazing. I can't believe your motoring through it so quick!

Thanks for the compliment. I have been spending every free minute in the work shop that I can. Sooner or later this summer I will have to take a break for some motorcycle time... Super Celebration will be my first weekend off from it... LOL

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
1 step forward and 2 steps back... I started fitting the driver door post and without the firewall attached to the kick panel there is just too much movement that I cant get it located enough to burn it in so I will have to fab some more temp bracing so I can remove the first brace that is in the way and get the new firewall installed tomorrow. I can see the frustration everyone complains about after hanging and removing the driver door a dozen times in an hour I had to rethink my plan of attack.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Oh what a day! Glad I took yesterday off from her. I lost plenty of sleep over the door and figured out what was the cause. I replaced the rotted firewall and moved the post once and BAM it was dead nuts on. That was such a huge relief! Enjoy the pics, tomorrow I replace the front floor!
ypyvuhyp.jpg

yzu6upe4.jpg

upajy9yb.jpg

5a6yvy4e.jpg

8edu2eva.jpg

e6ady5e5.jpg

5u9a2ypy.jpg

e5uvuzyh.jpg

tuqe4uha.jpg

avady7yb.jpg

e4asugaj.jpg

vehysasy.jpg

e5y2a8em.jpg

zehure2y.jpg

hu7u4uqu.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
nice! got to love it when a plan comes together

Yes I do. I'm looking more to the weekend in Townsend than ever now. The old guy will be accompanying me as well this year. Looking forward to a weekend to hang out and admire other broncos and search for that elusive bottom of a can. ;)

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
The front floor has been fit. Now to mark it for plug weld holes, transfer all of the existing threaded holes through it, remove it, primer the trapped areas, drill the holes, reinstall it and burn it in it will have a solid front floor again.
yza3abet.jpg

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Didn't get to do much... never realized how a can of primer could stall out something and to top it off, no one stocks it near me at all. On the bright side, my Bronco Design fender flares arrived yesterday.
ehanu7u4.jpg

muvu4ude.jpg

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Thanks for the compliment. The old Fed-Up truck just delivered my DC Door lower patch panel. All that is left is my two tail light housings and two door skins and all of the metal I need to replace will be in.... of coarse I am still awaiting my weld through primer. I was hoping to have the metal work on the body done before I go to SC but it will be very close. Still shooting for a late June paint date. In total, all that will have needed replacing, I will have repaired/replaced 35 panels on this truck... For what I spent for the bronco and what I spent for the repair panels minus my time, I would have been about at a break even point for a better bronco but you still never know what you have till it's been stripped. You can't put a price on education and in the end to know that I have personally worked on every inch of this ride from front to back, top to bottom will be well worth the end result. I will literally know every square inch of this thing inside and out.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Well today was one of those days I was so anxious to get going again on the build but it seemed things were trying harder to keep me from working on it. I started off this am with an email and delivery alert for my weld through primer. I was stoked, got work done so I could skip out a little early and then it started. I not only received my primer, I also received my BIG boy (or body... lol) creeper and man it is nice and comfy. Anyways, got the pans primed and started fitting them back in for the last time. Got everything lined up and started to weld them bam, two rosettes later I am out of wire. I had an old spool under my cart from when I was 13 (thats 26 year old wire) and it didn't weld worth a damn. Too much surface rust and my Miller 211 wasn't having it. So I had to stop (after killing another hour trying to get the old wire to feed properly) and decided a trip to tractor supply was in order. Bought a new 10lb spool and headed home, ate supper and then headed back to the barn. I finally called it a night at 11. I still have more welds to do, but not near as many as before today, lots of grinding and some fine tuning on the front floor pans that tie to the fire wall. Not exactly happy with the initial fit but a little more grinding and tweaking and they should be perfect...

etevuzu2.jpg

ha5atu2e.jpg

6ugupyte.jpg

yba5arug.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I took the afternoon off and have been in the shop. I am glad to say the main floor is in, welded and ground. Now I am fitting the pass front floor pan and the panel is made way wrong. Thankfully I have a metal brake so I am straightening it out, trimming it to the correct size and will break the bends back into it. What a PITA. Everything else damn near dropped in with very minor tweaking so I guess I shouldn't complain too much... More to come and pics later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
A lot of welding and grinding and the old girl has a solid front floor again in who knows how long. Now its time to start on the rear floor.

9y9y9e7e.jpg

2enahyga.jpg

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Man what progress!! I guess it will be ready for next weekend!!

Ha! Not this year... At least for the first time I am at SC I can actually talk about my bronco other than yeah I have one in the basement. Next year will be the killer... I know it will be much further along, quite possibly a roller by then but I just don't see the funds materializing to have it done for next year but who knows... Something could happen between now and then. I keep looking at things and thinking that if I would drop the custom things I have planned I could do it a lot quicker and cheaper but then I would just be doing things twice... It's a constant pull between what I want for a finished project and wanting it right now. I hope I stick to my plan and do what I have dreamed of, then get another one and go from there.