• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

kilmat vs. siless sound deadening questions....

bills_69eb

I currently have a molded vinyl floor covering on my EB and it is still pretty noisy inside the cabin. Considering taking it out and adding additional sound deadening. Question 1: Which brand is best? What mil? Anyone know how many square feet it will take? What is the best way to install? Any Tips/Hacks/ caveats?

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I’m using Siless as that’s what was available from Amazon. I’ve only applied it to my 65 mustang so far but what I’ve found….

Make sure the surface is SUPER clean and dry
Use one of those hard plastic rollers to really press the material onto the surface to improve adhesion
Apply it everywhere possible - including behind heater box. I also applied it to the inside of my doors, under back seat and behind trim panels. More the better!

I have 2 different styles of the matting. 1 is a foil-backed dense rubber; other is an open cell foam. Not sure which is which but 1 provides insulation while the other controls temps. Be sure to buy the right one for your intended purpose.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
with our floors getting rather hot, what happens to the sound deadening? i just imagine it getting extremely soft, goopy, and under that foil top. is that not of concern or issue?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I use the 80mil Kilmat from Amazon and have been very happy with it. I just did my 54 year old daily driver with 1 layer of Kilmat and 2 layers of 150mil closed cell self-adhesive foam on the trans tunnel and firewall. It's a completely different truck, even in the winter I rarely had to run the heater, it transferred so much heat through the firewall I would have the windows down if it was above freezing. now I keep the windows up well into the 60's and have to run the heat below that.

@Shimmy I have it on the firewall, trans tunnel, underside of the hood, and roof. I've seen 200* temps on the surface of the metal in summer heat and never had an issue. I also have it on the inside of the door skins to make it quieter, it all adds up to make an impressive difference in sound and heat levels.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used Noico 80 mil from Amazon. It's Butyl, like most of the high end Branded stuff, but any butyle product will work. I covered everything including inside the doors and under the cowl. Of course it was easier because I was building the Bronco. That was for sound with a a bonus effect on heat. For the heat I also covered it with Noico foam cell 180 mil for some sound but mostly for heat. Any amount on the floor and firewall will help but since I was disassembled, I went the extreme. The pix are the Butyl. I don't have access to my foam cell pixs at the moment. It took a little over 36 sq/ft to do that level of coverage. I also used a metal roller that had groves in it to make it easier to see where you had already pressed the butyle in as it left marks on the foil. I used scissors to cut pieces to match but the butyl sticks to the blade. I also layed the sheets out in the sun for 30 min to heat them up first. It made them way more plyable.

Attachments

• IMG-7518.JPG
    IMG-7518.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-7519.JPG
    IMG-7519.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-7521.JPG
    IMG-7521.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-7520.JPG
    IMG-7520.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-7522.JPG
    IMG-7522.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-7524.JPG
    IMG-7524.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-7525.JPG
    IMG-7525.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 40

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I think they are all the same and just might vary on thickness, so get whichever you think might work best for you.

I used this 3M one inside my doors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005W17SSY/?tag=classicbroncos-20

I did use a heat gun on it and made it stick and mold better. Used a roller as well, but wanted to make sure it stayed in a vertical mounted moving door.

Oh, and yeah, don't use scissors...use a blade and then just bend it and it will cut/break there. The sheets I got are full squares with a half perforation to make it easier if you need a half. I had to cut and the blade worked great along a straight edge.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I have the Kilmat on the bottom side of the hood and roof, no issues with it delaminating. on the roof I have my carpet headliner material glued direct to it, I wish I had foamed it too for more heat insulation, but it is nice the way it is. The pieces under the hood deal fine with the wind from the mechanical fan and the pressure washer as well. I don't go to town on it with the pressure washer but do spray it down.

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
I'm planning to add kilmat 80 to mine this spring once I can get back to working on it.
From the reading I've done, all of the butyl products are similar just make sure you avoid the real cheap brands that are asphalt based.